I think the best way to write this script is to select the fold edges on the
mesh.  I can query the centerpoint of the edge for joint position.  but how
would I get the angle of rotation based of that selected edge?

here is a math diagram showing a basic setup.

I think it is ok to only select one edge and then have maya automatically
determine the direction of joint orientation based on the other vertex/edge in
the polygon?  but this is asking a lot but would make it more user friendly
because then I only have to select one edge for each joint.

I'm guessing the best way to do this in maya would be to find the end points of
selected line (the vertex) and then calculate the X and Z rotation axis.  Then
the Y axis would be the opposite polygon edge.

I need help figuring out how to get the vertex information from an edge
selection list. and how to find the opposite polygon edge.