I did think about that providing a flip axis.  I think it would be nice to add
features on top to allow a user to flip the axis if they want but as a base
would be good to get it all right from the start. I do want to make this as
robust as possible.  I think there is a way to do it with some math.  I'm
thinking its related to the quadrant the point is in, in relationship to the
center of the joint.  currently my method is not fully determining 'all
quadrants.  I think I'm only testing for the +X and -X.  I think there are 8
quadrants?  In theory I should be able to test one point against the joint
center and determine weather the axis should be flipped.

i think its kind of like this.

http://mathworld.wolfram.com/Quadrant.html

now to implement...