Hi,

I got the same error, but I found a way to get it to work...

What I do is before I create the widget that is going into the Workspace I
create a dummy one. I'm guessing that the bug is due to some initialization
that is not been done on the first Workspace created, here is the dummy
dialog...
        main_window_ptr = omui.MQtUtil.mainWindow()
        mayaWid = QtCompat.wrapInstance(long(main_window_ptr),
QtWidgets.QWidget)

        class dummyClass(MayaQWidgetDockableMixin, QtWidgets.QDialog):
            def __init__(self, parent=None):
                QtWidgets.QDialog.__init__(self, parent)

        _dummyUI = dummyClass(mayaWid)

        _dummyUI.setObjectName("DockingDummyWindow")
        workspaceControlName = _dummyUI.objectName() + 'WorkspaceControl'

        _dummyUI.show(dockable=True, area='right', floating=False)
        cmds.workspaceControl(workspaceControlName, e=True,
                              ttc=["AttributeEditor", -1], wp="preferred",
                              mw=420)

        cmds.workspaceControl(workspaceControlName, e=True, close=True)
        cmds.deleteUI(workspaceControlName, control=True)

Once this is deleted, you add the code that creates the real UI.

It works for me, so maybe try it out.

Cheers,