On Tue, May 07, 2024 at 02:24:30AM +0000, Duan, Zhenzhong wrote:
> >On Mon, May 06, 2024 at 02:30:47AM +0000, Duan, Zhenzhong wrote:
> >
> >> I'm not clear how useful multiple iommufd instances support are.
> >> One possible benefit is for security? It may bring a slightly fine-grained
> >> isolation in kernel.
> >
> >No. I don't think there is any usecase, it is only harmful.
>
> OK, so we need to limit QEMU to only one iommufd instance.

I don't know about limit, but you don't need to do extra stuff to make
it work.

The main issue will be to get all the viommu instances to share the
same iommufd IOAS for the guest physical mapping. Otherwise each
viommu should be largely unware of the others sharing (or not) a
iommufd.

If you can structure things properly it probably doesn't need a hard
limit, it will just work worse.

Jason