I'm not sure if that explains the family of bugs seen, but as those settings are a *integer* index in the list returned by QgsVectorFileWriter::supportedFormatExtensions() or QgsRasterFileWriter::supportedFormatExtensions() , they depend both on the QGIS list of known formats which may evolve over versions (not that frequent that said), and/or if the GDAL version changes and/or if drivers are enabled/disabled. It would be more robust to capture the extension as a string rather than an index.

And even capturing an extension is not super robust, as potentially several drivers could recognize the same extension

For example when using the ".xml" extension as a vector output, you'll probably be surprised that the obscure PDS4 vector driver (tabular data for planetary datasets) is used!

This is because:

$ ogrinfo --formats | grep xml | grep 'w'
  PDS4 -raster,vector- (rw+vs): NASA Planetary Data System 4 (*.xml)
  GML -vector- (rw+v): Geography Markup Language (GML) (*.gml, *.xml)
  Interlis 2 -vector- (rw+v): Interlis 2 (*.xtf, *.xml, *.ili)
  GMLAS -vector- (rwv): Geography Markup Language (GML) driven by application schemas (*.gml, *.xml)

whereas looking at QgsVectorFileWriterMetadataContainer , I strongly suspect that the intent was rather to use the GeoRSS driver for which QGIS registers a .xml extension (the GDAL GeoRSS driver doesn't advertize a particular file extension)

==> Those settings should actually be deprecated and replaced by others that save a GDAL driver name ... plus an extension, because the "MapInfo File" driver produces quite different output if you chose ".tab" or ".mif" (or the GeoJSONSeq driver that will use different separators if you select the ".geojsonl" or ".geojsons" extensions)

Even