Ha, yeah pragmatism is a very good reason. I've battled with mail delivery recently in a much smaller project and it was not fun.

Thanks for all your work, you awesome people!

Cheers, Hannes

PS: To be honest, I get a deja vu, so if I ranted about this (without offering help or solutions :} ) before in the past, sorry!

On 22.02.24 15:51, Andreas Neumann wrote:

Hi Johannes and Lova,

The current reality is that the QGIS PSC is using Google infrastructure (Google Drive, Google Mail, youtube channels; sometimes Google Meet) quite extensively. It wouldn't be so easy to swap things out. In the PSC meetings we use JITSI, but for the QGIS Open Day it is also Google infrastructure, as it scales better for more users. We also use GSOC in order to bring in new developers.

We know that some people don't like our usage of Google services, but we also need to be pragmatic. Doing more things ourselves with open source tools or other alternatives would be possible, but would mean that we can spend less time directly on improving QGIS.

Greetings,
Andreas

On 2024-02-22 15:34, Johannes Kröger via QGIS-Developer wrote:

Hi Lova,

if I understand it right, using smtp.gmail.com *will* send all mails via Google. I don't know which SMTP host is currently used.

Looking at the MX records of qgis.org it seems like Google is used already anyways so I might be barking up an old and rotten tree. :(

It really should not be any of Google's business when people communicate with qgis.org addresses.

Thank you!

Cheers, Hannes

On 19.02.24 06:37, Lova Andriarimalala wrote:

Dear Hannes,

Thanks for your feedback. I appreciate that.

> Does this mean that Gmail will be involved in all those mails?

I apologise for that. Indeed, we propose using smtp.gmail.com as EMAIL_HOST instead of smtp to fix the email-sending feature since it sometimes goes into the spam folder.

However, I think this won't change the account type because we use the same as the current email and keep the part `@qgis.org` unless I'm mistaken. But maybe my PR's name doesn't reflect that. For now, I will update the PR and convert it to a draft.

> Can't a OSGeo mail account be used instead?

I'm not sure of the answer to this, sorry.

Dear @Tim Sutton <mailto:t...@kartoza.com>, could you please advise me on that?Thank you.

Best regards,

Lova

—

Image

*Lova Andriarimalala*

*QGIS Full Stack Developer*

Visit http://kartoza.com <http://kartoza.com/> to find out about open source:

* Desktop GIS programming services

* Geospatial web development

* GIS Training

* Consulting Services

Office: +261(0)34 09 524 73 <tel:+261340952473>