Hi

In my mind (from the discussions we have had on this list) the issue
is still not resolved. I think there is nothing to stop someone
creating an unofficial / independent gdal + ecw installer if they are
not so scrupulous / concerned about the licensing and make it so it
overwrites the gdal in the official qgis installer. Maybe even this is
considered bad Im not sure, but at the very least QGIS project wont be
involved in any wrongdoing if the legality is questionable. But I
think until its 100% confirmed that ECW license is compatibe with QGIS
& GDAL we should err on the side of caution when it comes to shipping
ecw out of the box with QGIS.

Regards

Tim