Hello William,

Here is the gdalinfo output of the the PNG file I am using:

Driver: PNG/Portable Network Graphics
Size is 8844, 7663
Coordinate System is `'
Origin = (563960.437500000000000,6098920.500000000000000)
Pixel Size = (15.000000000000000,-15.000000000000000)
Corner Coordinates:
Upper Left  (  563960.438, 6098920.500)
Lower Left  (  563960.438, 5983975.500)
Upper Right (  696620.438, 6098920.500)
Lower Right (  696620.438, 5983975.500)
Center      (  630290.438, 6041448.000)
Band 1 Block=8844x1 Type=Byte, ColorInterp=Red
Band 2 Block=8844x1 Type=Byte, ColorInterp=Green
Band 3 Block=8844x1 Type=Byte, ColorInterp=Blue
Band 4 Block=8844x1 Type=Byte, ColorInterp=Alpha

Projected Co-Ordinate system NAD83-UTM9

running gdal_translate for GTIFF creates a nice 245MB GeoTIFF file.

gdal seems to be working just fine.

Okay after doing some tests with the new 245MB geoTiff file (translated with gdal), QGIS and GRASS seem to be running fairly smoothly!

hmmm so I will find/make more geoPNG files and see what the results are in QGIS/GRASS

For now I suppose I'll work with the much larger TIFF files in QGIS for my production work.

Thanks for the support I appreciate it.

Mars