To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Sunday, September 26, 2004 4:53 AM
Subject: Re: [ql-users] QXL: SMSQ

On Sun, 26 Sep 2004 04:22:05 +0200, Marcel Kilgus <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Phoebus R. Dokos wrote:
This assumption is based on what exactly?
On how much faster 68020+ instructions work performing tasks that need a
series of 68000 instructions to normally perform.

So this assumes that all or most tasks within SMSQ/E can be done with fewer 20+ instructions. I'm not sure about that.

Not all of course but select few (like MOVE16 for example) and especially the math ones could be significantly be sped up (if you even take into account the FPU part of 040 and 060 there is a significant boost up to be had)...

Of course that applies on real machines only because on PC based 68K
emulators that would be completely pointless

Actually emulators would gain far more than the native hardware if your assumption is right and the instruction count could be significantly reduced.

That is possible but not necessarily; if the emulated instruction would need more native instructions to be emulated for example....
Speed up on a well written and mature emulator core like QPC's for example can be achieved by the extra processing power without the hassle of potentially re-writing parts of the emulation core and maybe in the process introducing some new bugs (which probably doesn't apply in your situation given the known quality of your software :-) but still it is possible)

Phoebus