[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

Hi Tony,

I tried dir dos1_"Program Files" but it does not work.

quotes in the wrong place...think about files with odd characters (non-variable_name_valid) under QDOS: you put the device and filename _all_ inside quotes (or a variable) - it's only with valid variable names can you drop the quotes.

progra~1 means what?

vfat still uses directory entries which are filename limited to 8.3 characters (11 characters in all). When you create a long filename (ie more than 8 characters before a dot, or 3 after it, or non-valid characters, eg a dot or space) vfat stores the long name in 11 byte chunks in multiple entries in the directory which are hidden from DOS; it also stores a DOS compatable 8.3 version.

To create the DOS compatable version it basically takes the first 6 (or 5) characters, adds a tilde (~) followed by a number to make a unique filename. (I think I've got the algorithm somewhere.) Thus, starting with "Program Files", it stores "Program Fil" in one directory entry, "es" in another (both hidden from DOS), and then creates a DOS compatable version by taking the first 6 characters (Program), case ignored (program), adds a tilde (program~), and adds a 1 (program~1), checks it doesn't exist. If not, ok otherwise it tries with a 2 (program~2), and so on; once a unique name has been found, it stores it in yet another directory entry - making a total usage of 3 directory entries for the name "Program Files". If you copy, etc the 8.3 compatable name from [an old] DOS, you'll lose the long version.