Robert Newson wrote:

Obviously I can't count...program is 7 characters...

0ma:.,$s/(program/(progra/g
'a:.,$s/(Program/(Progra

To create the DOS compatable version it basically takes the first 6 (or 5) characters, adds a tilde (~) followed by a number to make a unique filename. (I think I've got the algorithm somewhere.) Thus, starting with "Program Files", it stores "Program Fil" in one directory entry, "es" in another (both hidden from DOS), and then creates a DOS compatable version by taking the first 6 characters (Program), case

compatable version by taking the first 6 characters (Progra), case

ignored (program), adds a tilde (program~), and adds a 1 (program~1)

ignored (progra), adds a tilde (progra~), and adds a 1 (progra~1)

checks it doesn't exist. If not, ok otherwise it tries with a 2 (program~2), and so on; once a unique name has been found, it stores it

(progra~2), and so on; once a unique name has been found, it stores it

in yet another directory entry - making a total usage of 3 directory entries for the name "Program Files". If you copy, etc the 8.3 compatable name from [an old] DOS, you'll lose the long version.