Dilwyn Jones writes:

>> You could always download the headers of all messages without
>> downloading
>> the bodies.  (The pop3 TOP command sends the message header along
>> with the
>> first n (specified) lines of the message - if specified as 0, only
>> the
>> header is sent.)
> This is actually not too difficult to do from QL platforms with TCP/IP
> support. Last year I downloaded some documents describing email
> protocols etc and decided this would be quite feasible to write in
> straightforward basic, unfortunately between lack of time, changing
> jobs and the fact that soql was never fully finished I didn't actually
> get around to that simple mailer core program I intended to do at the
> time.

Anyone checked out Simon Goodwin's SpamFryer? Its written in Rexx. Perhaps
it can (easily?) be converted to run on the QL version of that language. I
was going to see if I could understand enough of it to convert it to SBasic,
but got overwhelmed by local events and had to shelve any QL-related plans
for now. From the reviews, it seems to do a great job - and we all know
Simon's reputation.

Basically it works on the headers and only downloads messages that meet your
Allow/Deny criteria. The rules are not difficult to understand and are kept
in plain text files. Most of the rules youll ever need are already included
in the package.

Per