In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, gwicks
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes

>Running a show is much more complicated than people think and a good deal
>more than just a hall with tea and coffee.
>
>Look at the requirements of a hall alone:
>
>1: It should be within easy access of a motorway.
>2: It should be accessible by public transport.
>3: It has to be a reasonable price.
>4: It has to have adequate parking facilities.
>5: It has to have easy access for loading and unloading.
>
>(The last three of these rule out many inner city locations - you should
>talk to Malcolm Cadman about the problems he has had trying to find suitable
>halls in London.)
>
>6. There have to be at least two rooms - one for the main event and the
>other for lectures.
>7: There has to be an adequate number of electrical sockets to avoid
>irresponsible daisy chaining.
>8: There have to be adequate catering and toilet facilities.
>9: There has to be an adequate supply of tables and seating.

You are right on many of these points, Geoff.

The problem in London is that the venues are there, yet they very
expensive now to hire.

Hence we reverted to our regular meeting venue of the Welsh
Congregational Chapel basement, in Southwark for London Workshops. Which
is good value to hire.

It has been upgraded in facilities, yet it doesn't meet criteria 6 and 7
( above ) very easily either.

The Byfleet Hall is a much better size.  Although I don't personally
find it that easy to get to.

The essential thing is to get the balance of a reason get people to
attend - traders, activities, etc - and the facilities that people find
when they get there.

I guess, overall, we aren't doing that badly .....

--
Malcolm Cadman