Rich Mellor wrote:
>I would presume that Easel just stores the graphics in mode 4 format
>by
> default, but when creating the pointer environment area save file,
> it
> looks up the current mode - finds it is mode 32 and puts that in the
> header.  However, as it does not recognise mode 32, it still stores
> a mode
> 4 file.
>
> I am surprised it manages to handle mode 8 to tell you the truth, as
> does
> it not only support the 4 colours anyway??
Actually, I didn't check that. I think you're right, it only does mode
4.

As far as I can see it seems to send the current mode number to file,
then saves 32768 bytes of graphics.

BTW, these CUT files are only available in Xchange Easel, not standard
QL Easel.

Having just spent half an hour tinkering with these, I think I
understand what's going on now. It's not too difficult to detect and
trap:

IF mode_byte=16 THEN
     IF file_length=32778 THEN mode_byte=0 : REMark handle as mode 4
END IF