Based on feedback received about my BMP program so far, can anyone
help me with information about Easel graphics?

Easel has a screen dump facility and can generate saved pictures using
the PRINT command, option S for save image to file and the file
generated seems to depend on what filename extension you give it:

PIC or SCR seems to generate a 32K screen file

CUT seems to generate a pointer environment area save file 10 bytes
longer than a screen file (that is, a screen with a 10 byte header at
the start of the file). It only seems to work in mode 4 though. If I
save a CUT in mode 32 on QPC2 from Xchange Easel it seems to generate
a header of a mode 32 file, but then proceeds to put a mode 4 picture
after it, which confuses graphics programs because they see the
header, try to load it as a mode 32 and it all goes belly up.

I'm not sure if I'm going about this correctly since I've never really
tried saving Easel graphics before!

So, what (if anything) am I doing wrong, or is just that Easel doesn't
really know how to handle correctly anything other than mode 4 and
mode 8?