> I guess the fact that all is OK if you *remove* qubide eliminates
> Mplane
> as a source of the problem.  All the pins on the Mplane expansion
> port
> are connected together, so moving qubide about makes no odds.
Hmmm, not quite all OK, just different without Qubide, hence my email
about PAUSE timings.

Arnold Clarke's email inspired me to look further and found the
problem still e xists without Qubide, but nowhere near as bad.

>> For now, I've given up. What I've done is to plug my romDisq into
>> the
>> EPROM slot in the minisql, wire up the hard disk LED to the pair of
>> pins furthest from the gold connector on romDisq and copied the
>> SuperHermes Lite keyboard extensions into it.
> Make the extension file 'romn' - n = 1 to 8 (you probably did
> that!).
Not sure what you mean here - I simply lrespr ipcextsuk_bin,
configured to my preference.

> Glad Mplane is not the problem and that RomDisq has rescued you.
Looks like something is generating interrupts which the Aurora is
acting upon for some reason.

> That external LED simply mimics the on board LED of course. I guess
> you
> cannot see the on-board one.
Well, I just followed the manual! I used the MinisQL LED which
normally connects to the Qubide. Works OK, full brightness and dim are
both perfectly visible and distinguishable. If you look carefully, you
can just about see theRomDisq LED through the gaps in the case if you
haven't got the metal cover on inside. A front panel LED is so much
easier - glad you thought of putting the external LED pins on it.

> It is probably worth cleaning (I use hard rubber but fibreglass pen
> is
> best) and re-seating all Qubide chips.  Use isopropyl alcohol (tape
> head
> cleaner) and toothbrush to clean *everything* especially pcb..
>
> I doubt if this will cure, but worth a try.
>
> Anyone got a qubide they can lend Dilwyn?  You can then investigate
> and
> eliminate plugged in chips.
Now that we know the problem exists to a lesser extent without Qubide,
time to avoid use of the MinisQL for anything where PAUSEs are
significant until a bright idea fixes it.

><PAUSE too fast>
>>
>Ah this is better.
>Try removing Mplane - to eliminate it.
Not even sure if a MinisQL can have all its bits attached without the
Mplane. Will wait for a day off and spread it out like a christmas
decoration all over the desk maybe...always assuming I can put it back
together again afterward! I always seem to end up the kind who gets
worried when he's got 2 more screws than he should after putting it
back together ;-)

> How many screenfuls was Nasta's reply (8-)#
One and a little bit. Now now - he was just trying to be helpful :-)