Marcel wrote -

"....Tony's talking about kbit/s, I presume you're talking about kbyte/s.
75kb/s is pretty much what can be expected from Tony's DSL upload
bandwidth.  ...."
==============

Sorry Marcel, but from this posting I still do not know whether your
'75kb/s' are kilo-bits or kilo-bytes! ;-)

This [kb-thing] is a very old and well cooked chestnut.

I was relieved a couple of years ago when, from discussions (technical
publications) I came to the conclusion that the consensus was now that:

            Kb/s represented kilo bytes per second

        and

            kb/s represented kilo-bits per second

Now I'm in the dark again.  More light please!!  Thanks.
==============

All this has brought to mind again an idea.

Recently I read, cover to cover, a national (educational) text book on IT;
from scratch to 'A' level and I shall not waste time describing the horrors
(contradictions and ambiguity) of the text and of its plentiful 'old'
exam-board questions. It is its glossary that interests me here. [ The
discussion above is quite representative of some of the annotations with
???'s I have pencilled in there.]

What I propose - for our amusement - is that occasionally I quote on *this*
list from one of the short definitions in that glossary.  The implication
being that I will be throwing it out (to the dog(s)!) to chew over - if they
like.  If there is a dog fight, or a howl, I shall wait (and learn) on the
sidelines. Else; after a decent time I shall throw in another piece of meat
from the same source.

It seems to me that this might benefit all readers - whatever their current
position in the knowledge-stakes.  {Remember TV's 'Yes minister'?  and "how
do I
know that I need to know..."!?}

You doggies out there might like to give me your comments on this ......

With best wishes to all for 2007

John in Wales

--
Internal Virus Database is out-of-date.