Hi Bob.

I shall be in a position to take the Aurora apart and have a look at
its
innards tomorrow, will look into whats necessary to connect a ps2
keyboard, either a dedicated one or the one being shared from the KVM
switch. I don't recall a seeing any way of connecting a PC keyboard to

the SuperHermes but again, i will verify tomorrow and see what Tony
can do about that.

It would appear that the KVM currently draws it's power from the PC
( via the screen cable from PC to KVM) although the Aurora doesn't
appear
to power the KVM so i guess the SHermes doesn't push power down the
cable.... this is a problem as when the KVM checks for the Aurora, it
automatically switches back to the PC, i.e. there is no manual
override.

I guess, assuming i know how, I could feed power from the Aurora's
power line
( +5V ) to the correct connector pin and if this pin is currently bare
there
shouldn't be an issue. If this pin is already occupied then I wonder
what the
consequences would be !?

As usual, more questions that answers

Neil

>>> [EMAIL PROTECTED] 17 January 2007 13:23 >>>
Op Wed, 17 Jan 2007 10:36:29 +0100 schreef Neil Riley
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> If i have worked it out correctly ( no guarantee! ), the Aurora's
> Keyboard connector is
> quite 'Serial printer port' in appearance ( i.e. large). Does anyone
> know if there is a PS/2
> to 'Aurora Keyboard connector' convertor available and if so, whats
it
> called and where can
> i obtain one.

Hi Neil.

Forget about the Aurora keyboard socket. That can be used for a QL
membrane but needs a diy interface (See Appendix B from the manual).

 From earlier emails I understand your Aurora came with a SuperHermes
and
that is the one to use for a PC type keyboard connector. If the cable
from
the P2 connector (on SHermes) is missing you can get one from Tony
(TFS).
For my own Aurora I have made a cable with both DIN and PS2
connectors.
1 -> 1 -> 1 (clock)
2 -> 2 -> 3 (data)
3 -> 3 -> nc (reset)
4 -> 4 -> 2 (ground)
5 -> 5 -> 5 (+5V)
The first column is the P2 connector, the 2nd is for a DIN (5p/180
deg.)
chassis connector and the 3rd is for the PS2 chassis plug. (I use one
OR
the other)

I use a simple VGA/DIN switch box for my two Auroras, I don't switch
the
mouse (didn't always work) and must often disconnect the keyboard for a

few seconds to make it work again (no big problem because the connector
is
at the front of my Aurora box).

Modern KVM switches take their current from the +5V line (can SHermes

handle that?) or use a separate power supply (probably saver) but I
have
not used one for Aurora, only for my PC's.

Bob

http://www.opera.com/mail/

The contents of this email are confidential to the intended recipient.
It may not be disclosed to or used by anyone other than the addressee, nor may
it be copied in any way. If received in error, please contact the company on
01793-715380, then delete it from your system. Please note neither the company
nor the sender accepts any responsibility for viruses and it is your
responsibility to scan attachments (if any) for viruses.
No contract may be concluded on behalf of the company by means of email
communications.

BC Services (UK) Limited (trading as Boxclever), Technology House,
Ampthill Road, Bedford, MK42 9QQ.  Registered No. 5290544 England

 www.boxclever.co.uk