Op Wed, 17 Jan 2007 15:09:01 +0100 schreef Neil Riley
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> It would appear that the KVM currently draws it's power from the PC
> ( via the screen cable from PC to KVM) although the Aurora doesn't
> appear to power the KVM.

No, the Aurora VGA socket doesn't provide power to the monitor, just the
RGB signal, sync and ground lines.

>  so i guess the SHermes doesn't push power down the cable....
The power should come from the PC (or SHermes) keyboard connector,
logical, because then with an ATX-PC the keyboard can be used to wake the
PC from standby mode.

> this is a problem as when the KVM checks for the Aurora, it
> automatically switches back to the PC, i.e. there is no manual
> override.

In my case (one ATX- and one AT-PC) the ATX must be connected to input 1
and be in standby, so the KVM gets its 5V, then I can start up the AT at
input 2 an make the switch (before the bios complaints).

> I guess, assuming i know how, I could feed power from the Aurora's
> power line ( +5V ) to the correct connector pin and if this pin is
> currently bare there shouldn't be an issue. If this pin is already
> occupied then I wonder what the consequences would be !?

Careful, don't blow up your SHermes, a cable from Tony should work.

> As usual, more questions that answers

Also check to which interface the mouse is connected.
The Aurora has a Qimi type where you can't use a PC serial or PS2 mouse
(or KVM)!
Ser1 or ser2 should work but it's best to use ser5 or ser6 on SHermes
(they all accept a PC mouse) leaving ser1,2,3,4 free for serious work.

Bob

http://www.opera.com/mail/