Well we have the same problems at school, college and university in
France...

And I don't know about you all, but what I do with my son (recently 6 years
old) is we are working together some computing courses.
At this time we are working on ORIC with commands like :

PRINT "2+3="; 2+3
SHOOT, EXPLODE or PING and so one.

And he already knows how to deal properly with CLS or RUN commands.

My daughter (5 years old) want to do the same when she was able to read and
write.

It other he have to be familiar with both the keyboard and the BASIC syntax
he asking me for small listing of programs in order he typed it on ORIC.
(Well it's an ATMOS as the ORIC 1 have a keyboard that is quite hard to use
by childs).

In a few time we will work on QL, I'm working on the restoration on his own
QL.
What's he true too, that is my childs sayed that QL, ORIC and Amiga
computers are pretty. The PC is without this think that made these others so
attractive.

Finally, he prefer work on that such of old computers instead of his own PC
where there is a lot of games or so but where creativity is not so easy to
make in action.

So I definitively agree with you when computer history should be learned at
ITC or equivalent courses.

Jimmy.