Hi Roy

I think you too miss some of points I am making.

I am arguing for a continuing mixed economy with a place for both emulators
and hardware. I do not have a partisan stance on the emulator vs hardware
debate.

Other comments on the list I think would support this general  position.
No doubt some of the options have specific difficulties such as  who has the
skill to write drivers etc but that does not invalidate the  general point
that a mixed economy is better than all eggs in one basket. In  addition just
because something may be difficult does not mean that it is  impossible. To
move
forward need to look at ald problems with new solutions  in mind.

Please do not take my comment about spof PCs so seriously, I am merely
having had a bit of local difficulty in that my PC hard drived died a few
weeks
ago. Hence I have been through a major salvage operation to  recover data that
was not backed up (daughters mp3 tracks) followed by  the discovery that as my
PC is obsolete ie the motherboard is 4 year old  buying a direct replacement
hard disk is not a sensible option, instead I am  splashing out on a £350+
upgrade. Reinstalling windows XP, recovering the  data and installing the basic
software I use took most of my spare  time for at least a week.
I can recompile and install an new version of smsq/e from sources in  30-40
minutes. I can reinstall my all software on Qx0 from compact flash  card in
40minutes. There is one thing a Qx0 does better.

The second point about smsq/e is the critical issue as  Marcel is only one
person and while he has promised to release qpc2 into the  wild when he loses
interest I wonder who by then will have the programming  skills to keep QPC2
upto date with the changing PC hardware &  software scene?

You said
>But what would you use all the extra power for? What
>software  would drive it. The only two programs that have pushed at the
>envelope  in the last few years have been QWord and QDT. We would need
>more than  that.

OK Roy, software that, in my opinion benefits from more cpu power that  the
supergoldcard can deliver:

    SBASIC on a QX0. Comfortable editing,  multiple SBASICs run well so no
need to
    compile little tasks a they wont slow the  system down. Dont forget that
SBASIC is
    probably the killer "application" on the QL  scene

    Proforma and Prowess - juddery and barely usable on  SGcard, fun on Qx0
and QPC2

    QCDEZE runs OK on Aurora because its dumbed down,  nice in high colour on
Qx0

Ghostscript

    Photo

    SUQCESS

    Text87

    LYNX

This is by no means an exhaustive list. The point is that a lot  of older
software that pushed past the envelope run nicely on the Qx0 and QPC2  on
decent
PC.Other people starting from a different position than you or I would  like,
from the comments on this list, a hardware route to that same level.  Because
some are content and dont wish to upgrade is not a reason to deny others  the
opportunity. The people most likely to want to upgrade could be the
re-entrants to the QL scene and thats where this thread started.

I think Malcolm Cadman summarised the need for a hardware upgrade route  well
in his email.
Re: [ql-users] Réf. : Re:  Réf. : Re:  Spare GC  or  SGC?

Best Wishes

Duncan