Thing is, there are basically 3 motivations for a developer:

1) The challenge
2) He/she wants the result for him/herself
3) Money

QPC did fit all three of them. But in the case of hardware money
cannot be the motivator because building hardware is expensive and one
can probably be glad to cover costs. So unless you find somebody who
is truly dedicated to either 1) or 2) all discussions are pretty moot,
unfortunately.

Regarding the firmware issue, I did offer to write it for Nasta's
hardware but that was when I was still studying. I now write software
professionally for 7 to 10 hours per day, and while I'd still like to
do it for the challenge, between the job and my various other hobbies
there's probably not much time and energy left for a nice evening
filled with debugging interrupt handlers.

Marcel