In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Rich
Mellor <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes

>On Fri, 16 Feb 2007 08:57:22 -0000, <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>> I will be very interested too by getting any schematics for Qubide. I am
>> not going to build the board. I am just making some explorations to
>> build an
>> expander for Qubide, and until now I haven't managed to get all
>> information I need.
>
>I agree that releasing the schematics and drawings for QubIDE and the Gold
>Card / Super Gold Card, as well as the code for the various chips, may
>well generate some interest in the project.  However, that is up to the
>original designers to decide whether they wish their work to be released
>into the public domain.
>
>Yes, this approach has worked well for the Spectrum, generating plenty of
>interest and changes to design, with new boards being produced.  However,
>with 4 layer boards, it is prohibitively expensive for one person to
>attempt to make a test run of boards.
>
>Theone benefit which could come from releasing the design into the public
>forum is the ability to discuss methods of taking it forward and people
>working together (perhaps with some funding from Quanta's coffers and
>interested traders) to spread the risk and workload.
>
>Not long ago, we were bemoaning the lack of keyboard membranes for the QL
>and the prohibitive costs of such a project.  Believe it or not, we now
>have to keep returning to the manufacturer for some more.  It was a
>successful and worthwhile project and has certainly helped to keep RWAP
>Services running and able to support the Sinclairs.

Yes, nice to hear some optimism again ... :-)

Something new doesn't have to be "rocket science" ... and try to do
everything, and be costly to both produce and sell.

There is still room for more modest hardware projects to succeed.

The general fact is that many people have more disposable income now,
than ever before, and they can be willing to put some of that in to
their interests and hobbies - as well enjoy the latest PC, ipod or flat
screen TV.

I store quite a lot of old QL items, donated, for the London Quanta
Group. A while ago the value was dropping downwards.  Whereas now the
value is rising up again.

--
Malcolm Cadman