Dilwyn Jones schrieb:
Neither were around in the mid-1980s AFAIK. And my viewer had nothing to do with C (it was compiled basic).

The other HTML browsers and readers I can remember are:

Q-Mosaic - on my website (internet utilities page)
Progs html reader, part of the Prowess system
HyperBrowser - Tarquin Mills xhtml text browser.

I think there's also been other programs like Hyperhelp and a few other Help utilities vaguely related to this type of software, but none that I can think of which relate directly to the query.

Since the person who asked referred to C, I wonder if there was any example routine or application which might have been part of a pre-C68 C package, for example?

Dilwyn,
a poke in a different direction , then: In the late eighties/early nineties, when C68 entered stage, there were attempts to port the TeX/LaTex typesetting system from Minix to QDOS. The term hypertext would certainly apply to this (but in a different sense), and it has references to a compiler as well. Whether the attempts ended up with working code, however, I do not recall.
Regards
Tobias