Roy wood wrote, On 18/12/08 00:08:
In message <49495993.5060...@dunbar-it.co.uk>, Norman Dunbar <nor...@dunbar-it.co.uk> writes
<SNIP>
qdosmsq.dunbar-it.co.uk, I can see that by far the most people hitting
my site use Mozilla browsers.
Probably biased by the interest of the people hitting the site. M$ still have the largest market share although it is dwindling slowly.

Anyway, whatever you use, stay safe!
All browsers have inherent problems and security holes. It just depends who is looking where.

In respect of why some sites don't work this is down to a disagreement on what HTML code is.
There is a major issue that causes no end of trouble.
Most browsers, but especially MSIE, will when there are errors, like superBasic (back OT (8-)# ) , make 'intelligent' assumptions about what was meant. ..like non terminated tags, like <div> and <p> and so on. Unfortunately there will be no consensus of the best 'correction' When coders are doing it manually, and a great number do, or edit afterwards, if the browser they are using renders OK, they will not know there is an error. I suspect a lot do *not* test in all browsers. I would far rather that all browsers went by the book, and that *anything* not compliant should be flagged. All that is needed is a popup or bar saying there was an error.
Firefox will not display my Myspace site correctly although IE7 (and IE8) does. It is not that one browser is wrong - just that they keep bickering. Oh the wonders of competition.
... and there are also browser bugs.
I found a Firefox one last night. I use a cgi to display a pdf and the standard way is to include the following in the header before 'printing' the pdf:

This is fine for all browsers under all applications except Firefox on a Mac!

The cure is:

Tony

--
QBBS (QL fido BBS 2:257/67) +44(0)1442-828255
t...@firshman.co.uk http://firshman.co.uk Voice: +44(0)1442-828254 Fax: +44(0)1442-828255 Skype: tonyfirshman