On 04/01/2011 15:10, Norman Dunbar wrote:
On 04/01/11 14:06, Rich Mellor wrote:

<SNIP>
- The QL can use the HxC floppy disk emulator to connect to disk image
files on a compact flash, which can also be accessed from within
Q-emuLator - any others?
Well, a long time ago, I was attempting to create a Linux file system to
read a QL Floppy disc "natively". Unfortunately, as with many hobby
projects, life and time intervened to put it on the back burner.

Since then, there is the "fuser" system which may be a better, and less
traumatic bet for foreign file systems like this, so one day, I may get
back into it.

Then we'll be able to share data between QPC running on Windows (where
it accesses the floppies directly I believe) and on Linux - where it
fails miserably to access floppies. (No fault of QPC implied or intended!)

Floppy access is not a necessity for me these days as I no longer have a
desktop or laptop that has one!

If you are interested in the rambling about the above, see
http://qdosmsq.dunbar-it.co.uk/doku.php?id=linux:fs:start for gory
details. (Incomplete I'm afraid - see above.)

Cheers,
Norman.

This is the sort of topic we should be discussing as to the best way forward for sharing data between all of the platforms either by swapping media, or by a method of networking).

It would also be an ideal topic to launch the QL Forum (www.qlforum.co.uk) - I wonder if there is a way of sharing the discussion on both the forum and the ql mailing list, so that all the QL users are involved? (Darren...... do you know - maybe add an rss feed from the forums to this mailing list - I would rather use the forums, as it is easier to follow threads and go back to them months down the line).

The issue of swapping floppy disks has never been easy as some of the QL emulators (QL2K, QLAY, and UQLx from memory) cannot read native disks, but have to have a separate tool to convert the disk into a format they understand.

This is made even more difficult by the problems that some PCs have handling DD disks, or even any disks nowadays....

--
Rich Mellor
RWAP Services

http://www.rwapsoftware.co.uk