>Thanks Thorsten. That link has a lot of very useful facts about the
>FPGA (Field Programmable Gate Array) chips and the programming
>languages involved etc. A good overview, and an interesting read in
>their forum about developing ST and Amiga type boards from these FPGAs
>too.
>
>I thought that people on this list might like a basic summary of what
>this is all about, so here goes. This comes from the FAQ on the site.
>
>The site explains how well suited FPGA systems are for making retro
>computers with. The computer system is "described" using a high level
>language called VHDL allowing you to design and simulate hardware,
>which the site says can be anything from a modern CPU to a digital
>watch, and hopefully turn the design into a real set of physical logic
>gates. In other words, I guess it would probably allow much of a "QL"
>chipset to be turned into a single large logic gate chip if I have
>understood this correctly.
>
>VHDL stands for VHSIC Hardware Description Language, where VHSIC is an
>acronym for Very High Speed Integrated Circuit.
>
>The idea of "writing" an Amiga, ST or even possibly a QL into these
>chips using the high level languages VHDL is something I hadn't come
>across before.
>
>That's the basics of it all - go to the link Thorsten supplied and
>read about it all in greater detail. Now I know why Dave was so
>enthusiastic about these FPGAs.
>
>Dilwyn Jones

Thanks Dilwyn for the summary, very usefull! In any case if sombody would pick
up the job to create a FPGA QL on an existing solution or a complete new
project I propose to setup sth like a bounty or donation page i order to
support the efforts.
Let's see what is coming out of this! Exciting times :-)