QL Unzip Workarounds

For those having problems with the self-extract version of Unzip on both
Jonathan Hudson’s page and my Archivers page, I’ve created a couple of
solutions.

First, I’ve added a zipped version of Unzip 5.41 for the QL. If you already
have an earlier version of QL Unzip, you can use this to unzip it to update.

Second, I’ve created a program called JOB2BAS which can convert a QL executable
job program file to a S*BASIC program as DATA statements, along with a few
lines of BASIC to decode it on the target system. This allows job files to be
sent through Windows etc since S*BASIC programs are not affected by the loss of
QL file headers. Simply running the created S*BASIC program on the target
system recreates the job file.

JOB2BAS is offered as a beta test version. It seems to work on my system, but
obviously I would be glad to hear of any problems anyone might find with it.

For those who don’t already have a copy of QL Unzip, I’ve also added copies of
Unzip 5.32 and Unzip 5.41 as S*BASIC programs on the same page. To make a copy
of Unzip just run unzip532_bas or unzip541_bas and it will SEXEC a copy of
Unzip on that system. Enough to get you going without having to fight with the
self-extract version which seems to have problems on modern systems with level
2 file systems.

Unzip 5.41 will give a warning message about missing Signal Extensions on some
QL and emulator systems. This is just a warning and can be ignored – the
program will work with or without them.If the warning makes you uncomfortable,
use the 5.32 versions which don’t do this.

http://www.dilwyn.me.uk/arch/index.html