From: "Timothy Swenson" <swenso...@sbcglobal.net>
Sent: Sunday, April 01, 2012 8:03 PM
To: <ql-users@lists.q-v-d.com>
Subject: Re: [Ql-Users] Jan Jones

Depending on the author agreement, publishers may only have a limited rights to a published work. After the time has expired, the rights go back to the original author. There's been some QL software like this.

For Image Use, Museums and Libraries usually charge for images from their collections. The Museum of Local History (where I am the President) does this and we generate operating revenue from this.

This is a good summary of the situation, but we don't know how it applies to Jan Jones.

There are three separate copyright issues:

1: Jan Jones herself as author.
2: McGraw-Hill as first publisher
3: Quanta on its two reprints.

To know the exact present copyright position we would have to have access to the legal agreement between Jan Jones and McGraw-Hill; the legal agreement between Jan Jones and Quanta; and any possible legal agreements between Quanta and McGraw-Hill.

It is also relevant to mention that under British law copyright is not simply a civil matter. Under certain circumstances a breach of copyright is a criminal offence,

Best Wishes,

Geoff