Popular Computing Weekly magazine ordered one on the day they were announced
(probably while they were at the press office). Although they didn't get one
of the first 80-odd (the hand delivered ones?), they did get an "FB" ROMmed
device.

I've just picked up a bunch of old PCW mags which document from launch to
arrival (I don't actually have the official report of the launch
unfortunately); if anyone is interested in the articles, I can scan them &
put them on a website.

I guess what I'm most surprised to have forgotten (although, in  my defence,
on January 12th 1984 I was in fact only 10 years old), is just how MUCH
excitement the QL announcement created - and just how much disappointment
the long long delays caused.

You have to wonder if - had Sinclair waited 3 months (and hence lost out on
announcing the world's first sub-£1000 (let alone sub-£500) 32-bit computer)
- whether the QL would have had the same massive excitement and, being a
fully working machine by now, have REALLY set the world on fire, instead of
being comparatively restricted to those of us who saw a bloody clever thing
when we saw it... (in fairness... it was my Dad who spotted its potential,
I'd have probably been happy with anything that called itself a computer...)

Cheers,
Ade.