To: <ql-us...@q-v-d.com>
Sent: Friday, March 08, 2013 10:20 PM
Subject: [Ql-Users] [QL-Users] Something I have been playing with...

Hi all,

Mostly copied over from qlforum.co.uk, so if you read it there, sorry for
the redundancy!

Today I ran a loop on an unexpanded QL in monitor mode (US model, has weird
interrupts) and then with a 68EC020, a GC and a SGC.

100 PRINT DATE$
110 FOR loop = 0 to 100000 : NEXT loop
120 PRINT DATE$

It's a good timewaster. It just moves things around, takes a certain amount
of time.

Machine         Time
Bare QL         2m17s
My 14MHz EC020  1m01s
My 020+RAM      0m39s
Gold Card       0m29s
Super Gold Card 0m12s

My first line is an MC68EC020 running just pure QL hardware. I can't get it
reliable above 14MHz so that was the speed for the test.

My second, faster line is with 512MB of 16-bit SRAM added, and a simple PAL
address decoder that allows the 020 to access the memory in its native
width.

Rounding off, with QL = 1, basic 020@14MHz = 2.3, 020+RAM = 3.5, GC = 4.8,
SGC = 12.5

So I have a little way to go, I think. However, 2.3x achieved by around £40
of components is... nifty.

If this gets people wildly excited, I'll write up a how-to and a schematic

Dave