Afternoon all,

The following is based on assumptions - always dangerous - but I doubt that I'm far away from reality!

I know what I'd rather write. The choices are:

* A compiler that misses out the huge part of the process where a source file is tokenised (by the lexer) so all you need to build is a parser and code gen (and library, if required); or

* A full on tokeniser/lexer/codegen/library.

I'm a lazy git, so I'd take the former and do without the lexer. This is why Turbo can only compile an in-memory "source file" and why Liberator works from a QSAVEd format.

The two are identical, except one is in RAM the other in a file. And the lexing stuff, missing in the compilers, has been done already by SuperBasic.

A very very nice way to do things - get the SuperBasic interpreter to tokenise the program so the compiler has much less work to do.

Apologies to George if I'm decrying Turbo of course.

I'd love to see Turbo being able to compile a QSAVE'd file, I'm not aware of the internals of Turbo, yet, but I can't see too many problems with it? Unless there's much to-ing and fro-ing in the SuperBasic area while compiling?

I shall await the corrections that I just know I'm going to get! ;-)

Cheers,
Norm.

--
Norman Dunbar