On Thursday 7 July 2016, 21:29:04, Rich Mellor (RWAP) wrote :

> Shirley Butler (C-Fix program for use with SuperBASIC C-Port) - not sure if
> she
> had any more involvement in C-Port.  I also emailed Dave Walker, but no
> response
> from either

Hi Rich,
I also wrote to Shirley, but had no response.  This morning, I tried ringing
her on the number she gave in the C-Fix user manual from 1992, but this was
unobtainable.  Are you still in contact with Freddy Vaccha?  Perhaps he might
know something.
What I would like to do is to get a copy of the source SuperBASIC code for both
C-Port and C-Fix.  The idea being to update them so that they can work fully
with modern day emulators, and also to cure some bugs and generally improve
them.   I have actually managed to use C-Port with some success.  Recently I
have C-Ported a 58k SBASIC program into Cee without any problems.  I did of
course have to keep on changing the code until it finally Cported.  The
resulting Cee code certainly needed some tinkering with before it would C68
compile.  The program was a version of the Travelling Salesman program, which I
have been working on with Steve Poole.  In my opinion, C-Port is far better
than its reputation, but is certainly in need of some improvement.  The C-Fix
addition is very useful, however it is not complete.  The numeric array bases
have not been treated.
If however the source is unavailable, then how about reverse engineering?Derek,
have you thought any more about your idea of reverse engineering Turbo?  I
would be willing to work with you jointly on this.  I am well acquainted with
the Turbo parser and understand how it works.  If you can regenerate the
pseudo-code for C-Port, I am sure I could regenerate the SuperBASIC code from
there.  What we could end up with is a SuperBASIC program that perhaps works,
but would be totally unreadable, since we would not know the original variable
names used.  We would just have to guess at how it works.  But this would be a
start.  This may take some while to complete, but the more time spent on it,
the better it would become.
About the legal aspect, I would agree this may be illegal - if we go by the
letter of the law.  But if we go by the spirit of the law, this may be another
matter.  We would be producing something that would be of benefit to the whole
QL community.  I am certain the authors of Turbo / Cport / C-Fix would welcome
our contributions.
We may not have to go down this road.  Who knows - perhaps Freddy Vaccha can
come up with the goods - and supply the SuperBASIC sources.  If anybody knows
him, can you please contact him and ask.
Michael