Evening Christopher,

On a Windows pc? Never open anything attached that you are suspicious of etc.
In a QL, just have fun. I wrote a QL virus many many years ago when all viruses
spread by floppy disc. I never released it into the wild.

Many viruses, trojans or whatever they are called this week, are "invoices" or
"bank payments" or "parcel delivery notes" in Word doc format. I always open
those! In Libre Office, on a Linux host, running a Linux Virtual Machine as
guest!

Usually there is a macro, set to run on opening the doc, and it's usually
encoded. I have been known to take a few apart.

So far they are all pretty much the same, an http request is sent to a
compromised server and an exe file is downloaded and executed.  Normally I send
an email to the web site owner and the isp with details. They usually shut down
the payload pretty damned quickly.

Your Russian Web site could be another compromised one, the script kiddies
don't usually host these things on their own web sites.

And you should see what details I leave for my passwords and usernames on those
phishing Web sites. It seems that many of my private details have to do with
their mothers sexual dalliances with camels!!!!

We had one at work the other day. At least 5 people clicked the suspicious
link. It was a set up. The email had been sent to everyone by our security
team. The link took the victims to a Web site  where a message advised that
their details had been collected, they have made a huge mistake, and there
would be words had with their bosses!

No, I wasn't a victim. :-)

And I have been known to keep the "Microsoft tech support" people on the phone
for hours! At least when they are talking to me, they are not ripping off some
unsuspecting person.

Mind you,  I wouldn't do any of the above with windows,  even in a vm!

Cheers,
Norm.