jms1 wrote:
> I would have thought not a SQmulator as it runs in java and java is not
> particularly safe.
> Can Marcel answer for QPC1 or 2?

Security is not a design goal for a QL emulator. There is no security
in SMSQDOS anyway. But unless you're personally wanted by the NSA I'm
pretty sure you're safe.

> It is suggested any virtual machine is safe and is the method used for
> testing new versions of an OS on its own operating system.

Nothing is safe if the attacker is determined and the stakes are high
enough. I'm pretty sure nobody on this list qualifies ;-)

At the conference I've been to there was a talk from somebody who has
hacked a pay TV service. I was in awe at what lengths he went to to
achieve his goal (for example he read the contents of the ROM by
dissolving the package of the security chip and read the bits using a
microscope!). This is the talk: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lO4TNnkN64A
You stand no chance against people like him, no matter what.

> As Spies are hacking into machines can we produce a safe OS?

No. Unless you consider "it's so obscure that nobody bothers" as safe.

Marcel