Martin Wheatley writes:

> Marcus wrote
>  >It's just that you answered an HTML mail and therefore it
generated
>  >HTML, too, I suppose.
>
> And Malcolm replied
>  >Also, to send HTML you must have MIME enabled ... otherwise it is
>  >rejected.  Dis-enable MIME when sending plain text.
>  >If you are using Outlook Excess, it is buried somewhere in the
menus :-(

> Marcus is right Malcolm.  It's not that simple
> Whatever defaults you set up in OE (and to be fair most Windows
> mail progs) apply only to NEW e-mails
> If you hit the Reply button then it creates a copy of the original
> message complete with all the original message's formatting and it
> is that you are typing into.  Hence the occasional HTML messages
> from people who are normally not set up for HTML

In LookOut its normally easy enough to see the format of the message
youre replying to. However, to make your settings foolproof, ie safe
from oneself, at least in later versions of OE :

Under Tools/Options/Send, untick "Reply to messages using same format
as they were sent".

On the same page under "Mail sending format" select the Plain Text
radio button, and while youre there check the settings under the
"International Settings" button and select Western European (ISO).

Finally, in the address book (Tools/Address Book), under the ql-user
entry,
Name tab, tick the "Send E-Mail using plain text only" button,

repeat the latter step for all your nerdy acquaintances,

and Bobs yer aunts live-in lover!

Per

PS  I can still think of a couple more excuses for bungling up after
this, but I think I better save them for my own use ;)