This should complete my experiments with OE.

It is set up to use HTML as the default, which we have to accept is
the way it is.
Even if you select 'plain text' it will post an attachement in HMTL
( as the Help file confirms as being a good idea ! ).

Unwrapping it to plain text as normally required for user groups,
involves 4 steps :-

1 - Tools / Options / Send - untick -
"Reply to message using same format as they were sent".
2 - Mail sending format - Plain text.
3 - International settings - Western Europe ( ISO ).
4 - Tools / Address book - against the address, e.g,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] - tick the box that says "Send email using plain
text only".
This is under 'Name' in 'Properties'.

I hope that this helps those who either choose, or have to use, OE.

My previous mistake was to type in a direct address in the 'To:' box,
rather than use
the address book, hence you don't get this option.

M$ have certainly made it in OE quite a task to unravel its HTML
settings, apart from
that it seems a reasonable program ...

For me I am back to using Turnpike :-)