On Thu, Jul 19, 2001 at 11:57:17PM +0200, Marcel Kilgus wrote:
> Richard Zidlicky wrote:
> > uhmm, I assume you set the drive asleep using some of the sleep
> > commands. Don't do this! Life expectancy of drives is measured
> > in spinup cycles, not hours of idle operation. Modern drives will have
> > much better spinup behaviour than older ones but that doesn't
> > change much.
>
> IBM designs their desktop drives to withstand at least 40000
> start/stop cycles. This is 11 years with 10 start/stops every day. In
> fact they have to be spun down at least once a day or you get problems
> with the bearing (in opposite to the server series which shouldn't be
> spun down more often than about once a week).

so it got better.. well don't forget every powercycle is 1 spinup,
each time you hit reset may be the equivalent of another one (depends
on drive).

Even if I had 10 sart/stops a day guaranteed I wouldn't use the
automatic sleep when idle but rather spindown explicitly when
I know I won't use the drive for a really long time or before
shutting down.

Older ( <8GB ) drives will porbably have much smaller life expectation
with frequent spinups.

Bye
Richard