In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Tony Firshman
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes
>On  Sun, 3 Feb 2002 at 16:59:31,  Phoebus R. Dokos wrote:
>(ref: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>)
>
>>At 09:21 μμ 3/2/2002 +0000, you wrote:
>>
>>>I am sorry I have discovered that the BadTrans virus had infected my
>>>machine. My apologies if I have infected someone else, but I think I picked
>>>it up through the group originally, so there is probably someone else with
>>>the problem. Fortunately it was no more than a couple of days, but that is
>>>long enough to do damage.
>
>>Hi Geoff,
>>the singular MOST important thing you need to do to get rid of worms of
>>that kind is....
>>to get rid of Outlook you are using :-)
>>
>>You wouldn't have any trouble with Eudora for example :-)
>... or Turnpike.  This is Demon's mailer, but is generally usable for
>about £25 I think.  It is a quite superb piece of software.

I can second that Turnpike is superb piece of software, if you want a
good email system ... with great potential for more sophisticated use.

However, it all depends with a virus what it is aimed at.

The best thing with anything supicious is not to read it !  Yet we all
succumb at some time.  Another way is to examine it in an editor - only
- to check out its contents ... yet you need some expertise there.

Usually the virii are written in compiled Visual Basic ... as this is
what is available to the authors of this rubbish. So look out for
anything with .com or .exe in the file name.

The more sophisticated originators will have different ways ...

--
Malcolm Cadman