At 06:45 μμ 8/2/2002 +0000, you wrote:

> [...]

Hello Geoff,
there's one thing that may be involved here... and that's English not being
the native language for many ql-users contributors (incl. myself).
We know as much English as we are taught (and many of us are self taught)
and we do not posess the advantage of being born in the US, or the UK etc..

In that aspect (linguistically... sorry about that term :-) many words to
many of us do not appear bad or "emotionally charged".
For example for me although I know the etymology of  the "C" word I have
the understanding that at least in the place I am it's a good substitute
for "trash" - which at times sounds a lot harsher-.
Nevertheless since I use the word... "succesfully" :-)  for many years with
no complaints whatsoever I have to apologize if I offended anyone with
it... I always thought it (and other words) to be good substitute for "s"
words :-)

However there is now a paradox... some people in this list (names don't
matter I am just trying to make a point) do consider that this list is the
equivalent of a pub meet after a QL show... well I don't know about anybody
else but in a "pub environment" not only we use "C" words but also plenty
of "S", "F" and so on...

The thing is that we need be a little more on the tolerant side but also
self-restrained... and that's exactly why I proposed the ql-chat list which
Dave promptly created... (thanks Dave). That way everyone's happy and noone
is offended.

And that's my final contribution to the subject publicly and please as many
others suggested let's put the subject to rest now... (I do welcome
personal emails on the subject though)

Best Regards,

Phoebus