On 7 Feb 2002, at 22:39, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I couldn't read this list for 5 days or so, opened my email program, started
>downloading..
> horror, shocks: almost 200 emails of [ql-users] mailing list.
> OK think positive, could be a good sign, ql world is alive.
> But then..Half of it full with off topic emails (mainly virus talking).
> Believe me, it's really hard work to work through all that emails that apparently
>don't belong there.
>
> The problem is, I basically like this list and I am interested in (and need)
>information about ql stuff,
> but on the other hand you have to pay a huge price / time (time _is_ _precious_) to
>find a little
> piece of ql information in the piles of off topic (OT) mails.
OK,  I've kept quiet on this on/off topic duscussion until now. I can
understand if people feel muffed by on off topic discussion - this is
a QL group, after all.

However, if we take Claus' example - there were 200 emails, half of
themm (actually, I presumed at least 75% of them) full of off topic
(and, to me, uninteresting) stuff - so let's say, 150 off topic emails.
It takes me about 2 seconds to read the 1st sentence of an email,
notice that it is off topic and go to the next one- so I've lost 300
seconds (5 minutes) in a 5 days period.

Is that really so much?

Yes, I'm annoyed that so much bandwidth is taken up with OT
discussion - but most of us go OT at one stage or another, so live
and let live, huh?

Wolfgang