On  Fri, 8 Feb 2002 at 20:59:35,  ZN wrote:
(ref: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>)

>devices
>
>>> Yes, that's what I'm using now, although since it's a regular Aurora,
>>> Qubide and SGC it's not exactly small... but one out of two :-)
>
>>I know youve sort of answered this before, but the one thing that gives me
>>cause for concern is the long-term reliablity of CF media. And how are we
>>going to notice - apart from in the most unpleasant way - that its natural
>>life is reaching its close?
>
>CF cards use flash memory chips which can take at least 1 million writes to
>the same location - and the internal controller does not let the bytes be
>written to the same place if it can avoid it.
RomDisq drivers do a similar thing to reduce use of individual sectors.
Memory is in 64k blocks, and TT will only erase a block when all memory
is used.  That way in a device that is not full, there is no excessive
erasing.  The same applies clearly to CF.  ie if it is 50% full then
erasing of individual locations is approximately halved.

>Finally, writing flash memory AUTOMATICALLY implies verification, which
>does not happen on hard disks.
ditto RomDisq I think.

--
           QBBS (QL fido BBS 2:257/67) +44(0)1442-828255
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]     http://www.firshman.demon.co.uk