On Sun, Feb 10, 2002 at 08:40:20AM +0000, Robert Newson wrote:

> Stupid question: how is the "soft-remapping" stored?
>
> I only ask as it seems obvious that this has to be constantly re-written
> each time a sector's physical location changes - or am I thinking too much
> in terms of disk allocation maps

interesting question. Perhaps some sort of journaling scheme so
that you never (well very rarely) rewrite the same bytes in the
map. Perhaps they have a little amount of other memory that doesn't
mind beeing rewritten so often. Or perhaps each memory block has
its sector number & version stored inside and a map is recreated
from this information after poweron ins some aux RAM.

Bye
Richard