On Sun, 24 Feb 2002, Phoebus R. Dokos wrote:

> I beg to differ Dave,
> It is now proven that SUVs trucks and minivans are a lot more dangerous to
> their passengers than regular cars... (Institute of highway safety  says it
> not me ;-)
>
> So I am very happy with my Toyota Yaris (Echo they call it in the US) and
> its 42 mpg ;-)

My chosen subject: accident investigation.

That is a serious mis-statement of the statistics used by governments
world-wide to disuade people from driving larger vehicles.

Usually, the person killed is the driver of the lighter vehicle. SUVs and
minivans are involved in accidents where there is a higher risk of a
fatality, but that risk is biased towards the driver of the lighter
vehicle. You're far more likely to survive in a minivan.

Two vehicles hit each other head on. One weighs 1000 lbs and one weighs
2000 lbs. Assuming no energy absorption by the chassis...

The total velocity is 60mph, and the total weight is 3000 lbs. The 2000 lb
vehicle will slow from 30 mph to 10 mph. The 1000 lb vehicle will slow
from 30 mph to -10 mph. The relative acceleration for the 1000 lb vehicle
is twice that of the 2000 lb vehicle.

(Granted, this ignores differences in restraint systems, energy absorption
systems and etc)

I studied accident investigation - I wanted to be an air accident
investigator.

Dave