On  Wed, 13 Mar 2002 at 12:20:55,  wrote:
(ref: <H0000b5f122a3eda.1016022053.ln4p1327.ldn.swissbank.com@MHS>)

>Last night I removed the Q40 completely from its case and set it all up
>on the table. It ran all evening (about 3.5 hours) with not a flicker
>of interference on the monitor. Not even when I picked up the
>mainboard, or prodded (gently) the video RAM chips.  This suggests that
>when the mainboard is mounted in the case, with the I/O card screwed
>onto the back panel, the geometry of the case is putting the board
>under sufficient strain to move one or more chip pins in their sockets
>enough to break connection.  There were no metal objects trapped
>between the mainboard solder side and case.
>
>Looks like a new box might be the solution.
It is more likely to be the height of the case stand-offs.
I found that this need to be very carefully set, otherwise the I/O card
is not making proper contact with the socket.

--
         QBBS (QL fido BBS 2:252/67) +44(0)1442-828255
  tony@<surname>,demon.co.uk  http://www.firshman.demon.co.uk