In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, James
Hunkins <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes
>I am sorry to say that I am very, very disappointed.
>
>I have been a loyal QL user from nearly day 1, have never made any money
>off of it, but keep going at it.  I am now working extremely hard on QDT
>as some of you may know.  To be honest, it is a labor of love.  I will
>be happy if I ever make enough money to pay for my trips to the shows
>that I do get the chance to attend.

QDT seems a very interesting development.  A GUI would put 'QL_ware'
into the frame with modern OS's.

I learn't computing on non-GUI machines, yet I now use the GUI's
available for other OS's all the time.

I haven't commented on QDT before ... yet if you need any help with user
testing, then I could oblige.

>I am very appreciative of all who have kept the QL alive.  Some make
>money off if (not much I bet) and others don't.  This includes both
>those involved in the hardware and software; all very much appreciated,
>whether or not I use their product.  Everyone counts in this group.

As are we all ...

>I recently just joined this email list because I was hoping to get some
>help on some implementation problems that I am having with the QDT
>project.  Instead I have been getting this stream of emails that, to be
>very blunt, sounds like a lot on non-productive whining.

These discussions come and go ... as they saying goes put group of
experts in the same room and they will never agree :-)

>I understand that there are major disagreements in the license plans for
>SMSQ/E.  But I would hope that, instead of putting the dirty laundry out
>for the public to see (and it is very disappointing to have to see all
>this), that the parties who are involved would try to have some
>constructive and pro-active direct contact amongst themselves to resolve
>the disagreements.

I believe thrashing out the arguments is actually very healthy.

>And, as it is in the real world, not everything is going to be perfect
>for everyone.  The parties involved need to step back, take a breath,
>try to understand what is important to them AND to the others.  And
>then, and only then, with that understanding and acceptance, come up
>with some real proposals that try to do the best for all involved.
>
>I will continue to work on QDT.  I made a decision a long time ago that
>it will require SMSQ/E to run as there are some major pieces that I need
>from SMSQ/E to to it properly without having to write a tremendous
>amount of additional code.  I would hope that everyone can come to an
>agreement about this license that will support SMSQ/E for all systems
>currently available which will allow QDT to also run on them.
>
>Just as a final reality check, until a few months ago, SMSQ/E was not
>open source or anything else.  It was being maintained by Tony and a few
>vendors who put a lot of effort into getting changes done as required to
>run on different systems and to add important capabilities (such as
>color drivers).  And I suspect that there hasn't been much money made
>off of it for some time for anyone.
>
>As far as I can see, with the new licensing being worked out, everyone
>should try to make the best of it for everyone, instead of making it
>ideal for themselves.
>
>I hope that this didn't come over too bluntly, but I have to deal with
>disagreements much larger than this everyday in my 'real' job and we get
>them resolved, without resorting to the kind of stuff that I have been
>reading for the last couple of days.
>
>I really enjoy working on my system and my development of QDT.   So,
>please guys, just find a way to resolve this and get on with it.

I believe it will resolve ... even if it seems fraught when written down
in emails.  Face to face discussions most often resolve the main issues
anyway.

--
Malcolm Cadman