On Tue, Jun 18, 2002 at 12:19:47AM +0100, Roy Wood wrote:

> In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Richard Zidlicky
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes
> >> The problem here is that it does fragment the community - I see nothing in
> >> the current licence which prevents giving the binaries away for nothing,
> >> provided that the 10 Euro fee is still paid to TT for each new copy sold (or
> >> given away), so long as you register as an authorised reseller.
> >
> >the problem is the license says otherwise, read it. It is 10 Euro now, it
> >may be 50 Euro next year, nobody knows. Or perhaps someone does know but
> >doesn't say.
> Whatever makes anyone think that the licence fee might change ?

Read the license, if you need legal expertise ask Wolfgang.

> >With this license Peter isn't sure he could provide even minor fixes for
> >Q40/Q60 related issues free of cost to the user (actually afaics he is
> >convinced to the opposite). If Wolfgang accepts some royalty financed
> >extension to SMSQ in the meantime the user does have to buy a new license
> >and pay the extra royalties just to get the free fixes - the requirement
> >of a single official SMSQ version causes this.
> The fee is a one off. IF you buy a copy of SMSQ/E or own a copy already
> then any upgrade is free provided the author of the upgrade is not
> asking for a fee. I have always only charged for postage when upgrading
> SMSQ/E within the version number. I have also done it for free at shows.
> Maybe the licence should specifically state this to avoid the spread of
> paranoia. I have said this so many times now that my fingers can type it
> in my sleep.

I would very hapilly agree with you, unfortunately the license says
something completely different.

> >I consider getting free bugfixes say at the basis of current functionality
> >pretty essential. The people *have* paid the license so all bugfixes must
> >be free unless they require complete rewrite of the code. And availablity
> >of bugfixes *must* be independent of the purchase of some new fancy
> >extension that will almost certainly introduce a whole load of new bugs.

> This is the reason for the licence. There may be someone who wants to
> write an extension and get paid for it. We hope that most of these will
> be modules which can be added onto the code by the user (fairly simple
> to do) so we really hope to try to keep all upgrades free.

I would hope this too but that is not quite enough. I am pretty good at
reading licenses, not someone else' mind so all I can see is this license.
If you want the license to say something else than it says now, change it
to say what you mean.

Richard