Another Eindhoven workshop has come and gone.
It seems a lifetime away though from the launch day for Hermes, where I
had a turnover of getting on for £2000!

I always enjoy these trips in one way or other.

This one was memorable for:

1) Finding that the QL monitor that I kept discovering was 'not working'
   was simply a wrongly wired Scart (Peritel) lead.  So often only one
   sync is wired up - it requires QL Csync to Scart 16 then connected
   via low value resistor to 20. I had no resistors, but yet again the
   QL pcb came to the rescue - the 330 ohm network pulldown was ideal.
   The most memorable cobble from the QL pcb was rescuing a Honeywell
   CH timer with a QL microdrive power transistor years ago!

2) Free coffee on the boat because they had 'closed the till'

3) A ride in Roy's new (to him) car.  "It is great - the only the
   problem is the steering". Car looks very nice though - as we seesaw
   up the motorway carriageway (8-)#  Nice uneventful journey though.
   Despite what seems like hundreds of journeys on the same route,
   we still manage a minor wrong turning (roadworks to blame this time).
   Took the scenic route in Eindhoven to the show.  "It is a cycle
   lane"  "No it isn't, why have they got a 30 KpH limit?" I reply.

4) Finding that a non-working returned Mplane was probably due to the
   owner drilling holes through the pcb.  This is a mite silly with
   multi-layer boards (8-)#

5) Soldering an SMD 1206 (tiny) capacitor on Bob Spelten's sH
   with what seemed like a spade (I only had my 25w iron).

6) Seeing a pretty functional QDT alpha.  It is going to be a
   very essential addon to the QL. Pity Jim Hunkins is only coding
   for SMSQ.

7) Severely testing a Super Gold Card.  I have from time to time
   connected expansions cobbled for 5v supply to a std QL, but only
   briefly. The last thing I did in the UK before the trip was to test
   Mplane. I powered up the QL, but then went for a cup of coffee (as
   always supplied free, courtesy of Sjef) and got waylaid in a 90
   minute chat in a trader's huddle before anyone else arrived.
   Got back to my table, and sniff - that is a funny smell.
   The SGC was too hot to touch - well the 1810. Jumpered for 5V!
   OK - see if the QL is OK.  It wasn't - but it was only
   the 8301.  Ah well - I still have another SGC.  OK - plug it
   in and swap chips - may only be the 1810.  What a pity it is
   unobtainable.  I couldn't believe my eyes - the SGC was fine,
   and worked crash free for the whole day.  Unbelievable.  I measured
   the '9v' line and it was about 10.5 volts.  All I can think is that
   the 8301 had latched (where signal lines are higher than power rail)
   and it had successfully kept the SGC power rail much lower than
   10.5 volts.   .... but for 90 minutes?  Amazing.
   What think you Nasta?
   BTW what on earth have you been doing in the US - eating Cow Pie (UK
   Dandy readers will get the reference).  I gather you are all muscle
   (8-)#
--
         QBBS (QL fido BBS 2:252/67) +44(0)1442-828255
  tony@<surname>.demon.co.uk  http://www.firshman.demon.co.uk