<!see my answer below ;->

<snip>

>even INHEAR is not mean enough to open attachements automatically - the
user
>has to add the final piece of stupidity - by clicking on the attachement.
>So (at least from my understanding) it would be unfair to complain about a
>no-cost software that is dangerous to the dull ones - but that is something
>the whole life is ...

Actually no... because of its geared "for-the-masses" (as you nicely put
it), it opens automatically all attachments indiscriminately... (unless you
tell it not to...)
Hence the spread of all these viruses/worms.

I shouldn't tho blame Micro$oft for that as they want a piece of software
that is easy enough even for the most inexperienced user...
There IS a cost in the popularisation of computers after all.

Phoebus

</snip>

WOW ... 10 years ago I could have claimed I just invented XML ;-)

I must admit you are right - the "DO NOT CALL  ITS NAME" email program shows
attached pictures automatically - and come to think about it: it is nothing
more than relying on the programmers responsibility (and the power of
publicity!!!) - that it hopefully would not execute too much things secretly
behind the nice Windoze GUI
To come back to the beginning of the discussion: the good news - I am
convinced that this newsgroup with its fashion of > (or >> or >>>) as state
of the art of attachments is definitely non-vulnerable for this kind of
attack.

  • ... Christopher Cave
    • ... Marcel Kilgus
  • ... Christopher Cave