Ummm, that's exactly what I said. Not only source has intellectual
property rights. The compiled code does too. If they're forced to include
the results of their labors (if any) into every other version, regardless
then two things happen:
Funnily enough that evil commercial software developer Marcel Kilgus has put all of his changes to SMSQ/E into the source code that Wolfgang is distributing for free whereas the free spirits of open source have not.
1. Lowest Common Denominator - SMSQ has to work in the same way on the
least capable hardware as the most capable. Consistency and all that.
Wrong. SMSQ/E can be, and indeed has to be, different on different platforms. It just has to be documented and approved.
2. They have to give features to versions that may not be appropriate to
run it.
? This does not make sense to me as a sentence.
This hinders development of SMSQ/E.
No it makes development a bit slower but stops us from chasing our tails looking for bugs in undocumented revisions. As I have said before on this list I have seen many versions of SMSQ/E which were release candidates where TT changed a small bit of code in one place only to find something going really wrong somewhere else. I was one of the beta testers for all of the versions except the Atari ones because I had all of the machines set up here so I know a lot more about this than you may assume. I was also one of the most vocal (ask Jochen) in reporting little things that were wrong.
--
Roy Wood
Q Branch, 20 Locks Hill Portslade. Sussex. BN41 2LB. UK